Senior Platform Engineer(f/m/d)
Upvest, founded in 2017, enables any financial institution to offer great investment experiences to its customers. Upvest is an investment firm regulated by the German supervision authority (BaFin). The company currently employs 160+ people across Europe with its headquarters based in Berlin, Germany.
The company is backed by the world’s largest venture capital funds and investors including Bessemer Venture Partners, BlackRock, Earlybird, HV Capital, Notion Capital, and ABN Amro Ventures, as well as by renowned fintech entrepreneurs (including Maximilian Tayenthal, founder of N26, and Felix Haas, founder of IDnow).
We’re looking for fintech enthusiasts to join us in creating the financial infrastructure of tomorrow. We’re building the first European Investment API to enable any financial institution offering a wide range of efficient and transparent investment products, such as stocks and ETFs in nominal, portfolio, and fractional form. Our mission and vision is to make investing as easy as spending money.
We’re based in Berlin but would consider hiring remotely in Germany for this role. If you do want to move to Berlin though, we’re happy to support your relocation.
As a Platform Engineer on the Infrastructure team, you will play an important role in engineering our infrastructure by making it as automated, resilient, and scalable as possible while maintaining a high degree of security.
The Infrastructure team’s objectives include creating a robust, secure, resilient, and observable infrastructure for the Product Engineering teams to build products on, as well as providing all the needed tooling for them to be productive on the platform. Our principles include infrastructure-as-code, security first, zero trust, and the principle of least privilege. The Infrastructure team’s job is to enable and empower Product Engineering teams to deliver the Upvest API on the platform in the most efficient way. The Platform Tribe does this by mapping out Product teams’ requirements, formulating a roadmap and plans on what kind of tooling and automation needs to be in place, and executing those plans.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Impact and influence the growth of our infrastructure and architectural decisions, with a focus on scalability, security, and stability
- Improve our CI/CD offerings
- Collaborate with the product engineering teams to improve service performance
- Drive a DevOps mindset and culture within the Engineering Department
- Proactively test the flexibility and resilience of our systems, while continuously improving the monitoring and observability of them.
- Establish communication and documentation best practices throughout the entire software development lifecycle (development, deployment, and incident management)
- Provide operational support and engineering for multiple large distributed software applications
- Analyze system metrics to improve performance, identify bottlenecks, and enable fault detection and resolution.
- Working expertise with Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform
- Prior experience on a major cloud provider (ideally GCP)
- Deep knowledge of modern monitoring and observability
- Knowledge of operating SQL databases and Kafka in high-availability environments
- Ability to drive trade-off decision-making in a team context
It's nice if you have:
- Knowledge of our modern tech stack (Go, Crossplane)
- See also: https://stackshare.io/upvest/upvest
- Familiarity with SRE methodologies and tools
- In-depth TCP/IP and VPN networking knowledge
- Experience working in a highly regulated business
- Fun while working
- Greenfield projects. We’re building something quite complex and a first in Europe. This means we’re working with cutting-edge technologies and with no legacy code.
- Wellbeing. At Upvest, everyone has access to our in-house coach where you can have regular sessions to support you personally and professionally.
- Development. In keeping with one of our core values, ‘Learn and Grow’, every Upvenger has access to a development budget. In line with one of our other values, ‘Own the Outcome’, how you choose to make the most of it, is up to you.
- Flexibility. We work in a hybrid setup with the team distributed around Germany and Europe. We give you the choice (and budget) to spend your time where you are most comfortable and productive, either at home or the office. You choose.
- Learn and grow. We aim high to shape our future. We give and request honest feedback knowing that we develop together. Progression over Perfection.
- Team first. We make it easy for others. We value our differences and are open to others' opinions. We win and celebrate together! Team over Egos.
- Own the outcome. Whether we win or we lose, we stand together. We are proactive and get the job done. Outcome over Process.
- Tell the story. We always start with the why. We share knowledge to empower others. Transparency over Complexity.
Upvest is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees