Senior Software Engineer - Edge Computing Platform (m/f/d)
As Europe's leading provider in the field of micromobility, TIER's mission is to change mobility for the better. And to do that, we need talents like you who love innovation and exciting challenges as much as we do. Help us make mobility more sustainable and become part of the team!
THIS IS US
TIER Mobility is Europe's leading shared micro-mobility provider, on a mission to Change Mobility for Good. We provide people with a range of shared, light electric vehicles, from e-scooters and e-bikes, powered by a proprietary Energy Network. Our vision is to help cities reduce their dependence on cars and provide the safest, most equitable, and most sustainable mobility solution. We were founded in 2018 by Lawrence Leuschner, Matthias Laug, and Julian Blessin, and are currently headquartered in Berlin. We operate in 270+ cities across 21 countries in Europe and the Middle East, and have been climate neutral since 2020.
THE ROLE AND YOUR IMPACT AT TIER
- You will build reliable, intuitive hardware abstraction frameworks upon which our product teams and partners can create responsive, available event-driven services, as TIER continues its warp-speed growth.
- You’ll take pride in providing clean abstractions, so that Tier’s product developers will not need to concern themselves with the intricacies of each hardware platform.
- You will endeavour to ensure that developers in Tier’s product teams can build and deploy applications to the edge with minimal adaptation from their familiar cloud environments.
- You will design it. You will test it. You will build it. You will ship it. You will document it. You own it all. The good, the bad, the ugly and the glory.
- You will try out innovative technologies in alignment with engineering management that will improve our technical capabilities in regards to edge computing
- Embrace a good feedback culture and learning new technologies
- Deliver features in a fully automated CI/CD setup;
- Develop measures to ensure key behaviours, such as locking and unlocking vehicles, work as reliably and quickly as possible
- Constantly improve, evaluate, and monitor engineering processes by using the SLOs and SLIs.
YOU’LL FIT GREAT WITH THESE SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- You have an understanding of Zero-Downtime deployment/migration strategies
- You have 4+ years experience with backend systems or embedded systems.
- You are proficient with Rust and/or Typescript.
- You are efficient at writing maintainable code
- You are familiar with design patterns used to build resilient distributed systems
- You have meaningful experience with backend services, Kubernetes, Kafka, and event driven architectures or similar (RabbitMQ).
- We do trunk-based development, and you’re ok with that. You own your code and bring it all the way to production
- Experience with AWS IoT is a plus.
- You are willing to learn about and work with embedded systems or constrained hardware
- Above all, you are excited at the prospect of entering a highly dynamic environment where you'll frequently have the opportunity to learn and adapt new processes and technologies
GET AN IMPRESSION OF THE TEAM
- Hi, we are team Parrot, and we’re working right on the edge in every sense of the word. We’re building a deployment platform, from embedded to backend, for the next generation of IoT at Tier, enabling developers to deploy their code to edge devices and realize lightning fast, highly available, easily scalable on-device applications for our users.
- We’re bringing modern container deployment systems to the embedded Linux world, operating where hardware and software meet, to make it a cinch for our “hardware-oblivious” product teams to build applications that can leverage diverse device sensors, actuators, and vehicle systems as if they were running on generic servers in the cloud. With this, we’re defining the future of micromobility IoT, enabling rapid innovation on Tier’s own IoT devices for managing and operating e-scooters, e-bikes, powerboxes, and more to create the best user experience in the industry.
- We have deep expertise within our team, but we’re still learning a lot as we go along, and so will you! The technology we’re building is going to change the game for micromobility, exploiting truly cutting-edge technology to enable our product teams to further increase Tier’s advantage over the competition snapping at our heels.
- Given our mobile work policy you can work not only from home for an unlimited period of time, you also have the opportunity to work outside of your contractual country for up to 4 weeks per calendar year.
THIS MAY INSPIRE YOU
- Join us at the forefront of one of the most exciting and rapidly moving industries
- We’re agile, we’re growing and so will you! At TIER, there’s space for exponential professional development and room to make a huge impact on the business going forward
- Being part of the team means you’re part of its success. Our ESOP program gives you an opportunity to have a share in the company – nothing like invested interest!
- We support your growth with an annual development budget
- Surf your city with free rides on our vehicles
- Diversity and inclusivity is super important to us, so enjoy initiatives & programs such as #WomenofTIER
- Expect company onboarding and team events with international colleagues from all over the world
- Benefit from flexible hours and our remote work options
- Profit from competitive compensation combined with perks like memberships with Urban Sports Club, Nilo Health and Blinklist.
- Be part of one of the fastest growing and most funded startups in Europe with a world-class team of serial entrepreneurs (Co-founder of Rebuy, Takeaway, and Coup) and high-performers (Ex BCG, Uber, JPMorgan, Delivery Hero, and more)
We actively encourage a diverse and inclusive environment that fosters each employee’s individuality at TIER. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for your application, regardless to your nationality, ethnic or national origin, skin color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity. Come as you are and join our ride!
In case you are living with disabilities, chronic illness or neurodiversity please inform us, to provide you with the proper assistance in the application process.
If we could spark your interest and you want to change mobility for good with us, apply now and let us know why you’re the one for the job! We encourage everyone to apply and grow with us. Even if you may not tick all the boxes of the requirements, we are happy to hear about the value you can add to the team. We are all learners!
We are looking forward to your application!