Senior Backend Engineers, Remote
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for:
As an Engineer at Tide you will be working on the designing, creating and running the rich product catalogue in one of our Business areas (e.g. Payments Service, Business Service). We have a long roadmap ahead of us and rarely run out of interesting problems to tackle.
This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company! We trust and empower our engineers to make real technical decisions that affect multiple teams and shape the future of Tide’s Global One Platform.
We work in small autonomous teams, grouped under common domains owning the full lifecycle of some microservices in Tide’s service catalogue. Our engineers self-organize, gather together to discuss technical challenges, and set their own guidelines in the different Communities of Practice regardless of where they currently stand in our Growth Framework.
As a Senior Java Engineer you’ll be:
- Defining, owning and maintaining the services your team owns from our service catalogue that fall in one of our domains (you design it, you build it, you run it, you scale it globally)
- Working with the product team to select technology partners
- Work with backend engineers across multiple agile teams carefully dividing your time between design/refinement, implementation and mentoring other team members
- Regularly aligning your team’s vision and roadmap with the target architecture within your domain and to ensure the success of complex multi domain initiatives
- Working closely with product owners, mobile & web engineers, data scientist and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions
- Making key contributions to our Community of Practice. You will apply your extensive experience on our problem domain and existing guidelines to become a true beacon of best practices among your fellow engineers
What makes you a great fit:
- Have some experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack. You don’t need to know Java, but bear in mind that we have 200+ microservice written in Java, so you need to be willing to learn it when you have to change something there!
- Have a sound knowledge of a backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot) that you’ve used to write microservices that expose and consume RESTful APIs (in the world of Open Banking often times they are gonna be public!)
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions in a cloud-native environment (the most important thing for us is understanding the fundaments of CI/CD, practical Agile so to speak)
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software that integrates with various third party providers and partners (we do that a lot in the fintech industry)
Our Tech Stack (you don't have to be exceling in all, but willing to learn them):
- Java 17, Spring Boot and JOOQ to build the RESTful APIs of our microservices
- Event-driven architecture with messages over SNS+SQS and Kafka to make them reliable
- Primary datastores are MySQL and PostgreSQL via RDS or Aurora (we are heavy AWS users)
- Docker, Terraform, EKS/Kubernetes used by the Cloud team to run the platform
- DataDog, ElasticSearch/Fluentd/Kibana and Rollbar to keep it running
- GitHub with GitHub actions for Sonarcloud, Snyk and solid JUnit/Pact testing to power the CI/CD pipelines (new joiners are encouraged to have something deployed to production in their first 2 weeks)
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for up to 90 days a year. Plus, you’ll get:
- 25 days annual leave
- 3 days off for volunteering or L&D activities
- Share options
- Flexible work from home, Tide will also contribute 50% of office equipment for your remote working - up to EUR 200.
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.