Head of Credit Risk Strategy
Department: Credit Services
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
What we’re looking for
An experienced credit risk professional with strong hands on analytical and technical skills who can help us grow the Tide credit business exponentially while maintaining sensible risk policies. This is an entrepreneurial role with a lot of opportunity to take responsibility, implement your ideas and make an impact. We are non-hierarchical and non-bureaucratic. If you are action oriented with a sharp business mind and hands on analytical skills we’d like to speak to you.
As Head of Credit Risk Strategy you will:
- Develop Credit Risk strategies and policies, deliver them and measure their performance
- Own the P&L impact of our Credit Policies
- Balance approval rates and loss rates in order to optimise commercial impact
- Be hands on with gathering, preparing, and analysing complex customer datasets. Technical data analysis skills are required.
- Monitor performance of credit portfolio to ensure it hits commercial KPIs
- Monitor and adjust the composition of the credit portfolio in order to ensure limited exposure to correlated risk factors.
- Adopt a continuous improvement mind-set, constantly identifying opportunities to enhance processes/procedures and adopt new tools/technologies
- Ensure compliance or Credit Policy with relevant laws and regulation
- Reporting to the VP of Credit you will work in partnership with Data Science, Product Management, Collections and the Risk and Compliance team who will act as the second line of defence
- Create a framework to assess and optimise profitability of current credit policies
- Identify opportunities to better manage risk by
- Identifying and acquiring additional data sources as needed
- Identifying additional rules to filter out unprofitable segment
- Constantly measure, assess and improve our credit policies across all products
- Create monitoring dashboards and presentations for senior management, credit committees and auditors, recommending which decisions to make
What makes you a great fit:
- At least 5 years’ experience in a Credit Risk or Analytics role in the Credit sector role, ideally in Fintech or within financial institutions in a retail, small business lending or commercial banking risk area.
- Solid commercial acumen and a robust understanding of the economics underpinning revolving credit portfolios gained through either consultancy or direct work in a financial institution.
- Hands on proficiency with data and analytical tools (SQL and Excel) and visualisation software (e.g., Tableau, PowerBI, Looker, Excel)
- Strong technical knowledge and credibility quantitative risk management, statistical modelling, linear and non-linear optimization or similar. Background in machine learning and artificial intelligence are not required but a plus.
- Work experience in a credit risk environment with automated processes and data driven decisioning tools/culture.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work independently.
- Ability to work effectively with external counter-parties, including external data providers.
- Experience in IFRS9 is not required but an advantage.
- Attention to detail and quality of the deliverables and a growth mindset
- You hold a university degree within a relevant area (maths, physics, statistics, engineering, economics or equivalent with quantitative focus). Advanced degrees will be beneficial here, but considered in parallel with industry experience and expertise.
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. Tide is a remote-first business that enables its employees to work remotely from anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for 90 days of the year.
In terms of benefits you’ll get:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days holiday with the option to take 5 extra days of unpaid leave per year
- 3 days paid volunteering or L&D time off per year
- Personal L&D budget of £1,000 professional L&D budget per year
- Group Life Insurance, Vitality Health and Dental Insurance
- Pension contribution
- Spacious brand-new office in Liverpool street with an all-day snacks bar
- Enhanced family-friendly leave
- Mental health platform
- Work from home budget
- Team socials - virtual and physical events
- Sabbatical Leave
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote-first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.