Staff Backend Engineer
Who are Tide:
At Tide, we’re on a mission to save businesses time and money. We’re the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing FinTechs in the UK. Using the latest tech, we design solutions with SMEs in mind and our member-driven financial platform is transforming the business banking market. Not only do we offer our members business accounts and related banking services, but also a comprehensive set of highly connected admin tools for businesses.
Tide is about doing what you love. We’re looking for someone to join us on our exciting scale up journey and be a part of something special. We are wanting passionate Tideans to drive innovation and help build a best-in-class platform to support our members. You will be comfortable in ambiguous situations and will be able to navigate the evolving FinTech environment. Imagine shaping how millions of Tide members discover and engage with business banking platforms and building this on a global scale.
This newly created role will be aligned to the People and Culture division will be the key contact for global travel, internal / global mobility and immigration across all tides locations.
This flexible role will also allow you to work with colleagues from the People Operations team and help with activities, such as, but not limited to onboarding, offboarding, benefits/ L&D administration.
What we’re looking for:
As a Staff Backend Engineer at Tide you will be working on the designing, creating and running the rich product catalogue of your area. We have a long roadmap ahead of us and rarely run out of interesting problems to tackle. To name some of the products we are running - we have our own core account/payments infrastructure adapted to a variety of partner banks, our onboarding flow is a complicated state machine, we offer numerous lending products and a ton of business admin tools to help our members run their accounting, payroll, tax and so on, and last but not least - we have tooling to handle the our marketing, servicing, public APIs and starting from this year - our investment products and acquiring solutions.
This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference by taking ownership of engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company! We trust and empower our Staff engineers to make real architectural decisions that affect their domain and shape the future of Tide’s One Platform.
We work in small autonomous teams, grouped under common domains owning the full lifecycle of some microservices in Tide’s service catalogue. Our engineers self-organise, gather together to discuss technical challenges, and set their own guidelines in the different Communities of Practice regardless of where they currently stand in our Growth Framework.
As a Staff Backend Engineer you will:
- Defining and owning autonomously part of the target architecture for your domain, making sure that all the projects and services in the area follow it
- Working on early engineering phases to lay the groundwork for the team(s) in your area
- Working with the product team to select technology partners
- Leading backend engineers across multiple agile teams carefully dividing your time between design, coding and coaching other team members. You will be the person people turn to seeking advice and solutions to difficult problems
- Regularly aligning your vision and roadmap of the your part of the target architecture with other Staff Engineers and their respective target architectures to ensure the success of complex multi domain initiatives
- Working closely with product owners, mobile & web engineers, data scientist and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions
- Making key contributions to our Community of Practice. You will apply your extensive experience on our problem domain and existing guidelines to become a true beacon of best practices among your fellow engineers
What makes you a great fit:
- Have extensive experience (10+ years) building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (e.g. Java 8 or newer). You don’t need to know Java, but to be on top of the teams, you need to be willing to learn it (we already have a lot of microservices written in Java)
- Have a sound knowledge of a backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot)
- Have experience with running microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs (in the world of Open Banking often times they are gonna be public!)
- Have experience engineering scalable and reliable solutions in a cloud-native environment
- Demonstrate a mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software
- Are willing to own your code and your team’s processes from development to production
- Have exposure to complex solutions in the area of financial / payment services
- Have experience integrating with various third party providers and partners
- Have experience with relational databases.
- Are comfortable working in an agile environment
- Have the ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- Have exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment
What you’ll get in return:
Make work, work for you! We are embracing new ways of working and support flexible working arrangements. With our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy our colleagues can work remotely from home or anywhere in their home country. Additionally, you can work from a different country for up to 90 days a year. Plus, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary
- Self & Family Health Insurance
- Term & Life Insurance
- OPD Benefits
- Mental wellbeing through Plumm
- Learning & Development Budget
- WFH Setup allowance
- 15 days of Privilege leaves
- 12 days of Casual leaves
- 12 days of Sick leaves
- 3 paid days off for volunteering or L&D activities
- Stock Options
Tidean Ways of Working
At Tide, we’re Member First and Data Driven, but above all, we’re One Team. Our Working Out of Office (WOO) policy allows you to work from anywhere in the world for up to 90 days a year. We are remote first, but when you do want to meet new people, collaborate with your team or simply hang out with your colleagues, our offices are always available and equipped to the highest standard. We offer flexible working hours and trust our employees to do their work well, at times that suit them and their team.
Tide is a place for everyone
At Tide, we believe that we can only succeed if we let our differences enrich our culture. Our Tideans come from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels. We consider everyone irrespective of their ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status. We believe it’s what makes us awesome at solving problems! We are One Team and foster a transparent and inclusive environment, where everyone’s voice is heard.