Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2024
Seqera exists to make complex scientific data analysis accessible at any scale. Empowering scientists with modern software engineering for data analysis
We provide software for scientists solving today's most complex and important challenges from pioneering innovative therapeutics to unveiling the secrets of our universe. The journey began a decade ago with Nextflow — open software that helps over 100,000 global scientists analyze and process data, with more power and flexibility than ever before.
Today, Seqera consolidates fragmented data and diverse computing resources into a unified platform. Our modern biotech stack is trusted by over 150 leading life sciences organizations. Empowered with modern software engineering, organizations conduct science faster, on larger datasets, and with more confidence. Seqera accelerates discoveries in an open world.
Would you like to be a part of a company with a bigger purpose and make it successful with your own ideas? If yes, keep reading!
*Please Note that LinkedIn requires us to list a specific location. This is a full-time position - Mid level. #LI-Remote: Boston, US
Seqera is unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position
About the role
As a Bioinformatics Engineer, you will have the opportunity to build your skillset as you engage clients across a variety of technical fields. Build pipelines to process cutting-edge biological data and to help our clients deploy these pipelines using high performance batch computing, cloud storage, virtual private networks, and modern identity systems.
What You'll Do
- Help develop best-practices for Nextflow workflows.
- Create robust and reproducible scientific workflows using Nextflow.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain pipelines in Seqera Platform - making them available to customers to analyze and visualize data.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain cloud data infrastructures capable of processing data related to next-generation sequencing (NGS), imaging analysis, machine learning and related large datasets.
- Understand the biological application and scientific needs underlying relevant scientific workflows.
- Summarize methods and communicate findings to diverse audiences, which may include: R&D scientists, customers, marketing teams, IP/regulatory teams, and upper management.
- Engage with customers on requirements, developing project deliverables and coordinating the execution of projects.
- Train customers to use Seqera Platform.
- Provide professional bioinformatics services including NGS analysis, data harmonization, curation and custom pipeline development, etc.
- Consult with biotech and pharma professionals across multiple remits.
- Collaborate internally with content, research, and software development teams.
- Collaborate with multiple internal groups on cross-functional projects.
- Create presentations and provide written and verbal updates on scientific findings.
- Strong knowledge of the Nextflow language and the pipeline development approaches adopted by nf-core.
- Experience with programming in commonly used languages such as Groovy, Python and R.
- Familiarity with using Git or other version control systems.
- Significant experience with Linux command line tools and shell scripting.
- In-depth experience with NGS analysis pipelines and algorithms for a variety of ‘omics’ data types, such as genomics, proteomics, metabolomics etc.
- Experience with HPC and public cloud (AWS, Google, Azure) architectures and a willingness to learn more.
- Ability to effectively communicate and clearly explain technology to different audiences, through code, writing, presentations and demos.
- Experience preparing and delivering training to different audiences.
- A customer-oriented attitude, someone who enjoys working with others and helping find
Nice to have
- Degree / PhD in bioinformatics or a relevant field.
- 4+ years experience relevant to scientific workflows and software development.
- Proficiency in one or more common programming languages including Python, R or Java.
- Experience with orchestrated, and maintained data infrastructures and scalable pipelines for large datasets.
- Solid track record of research in cancer, biomedical, or related areas as demonstrated by publications.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Seqera, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, and your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Why join us?
By learning from and with each other, we ensure our ability to drive innovation and make better decisions toward our mission. Most importantly, our culture provides a genuinely fun, inclusive, and challenging environment that will allow you to grow while making a huge difference in human health and beyond.
What will you find working at Seqera?
- Flexible working hours, and remote-friendly culture.
- International working environment with more than 25 nationalities.
- Passionate & talented team.
- Continuous skills development, including budget for training.
- Team retreats and bonding activities.
- A culture where your opinion is valued and your decisions have a real impact on the industry.
- Excitement of a fast-growing startup in a constantly changing environment.
- Time off: 20 days for vacations per year, 3 days given by Seqera in December of 2024, and the national/public holidays according to your location.
- Private health insurance with United Healthcare, dental with Delta, and vision coverage from Vision Service Plan.
- Private life insurance with Lincoln
- Investment app with Vestwell (401K)
- Home office equipment (valued over 1,000 USD)
- Subscription to Oliva, Mental Health App
- Learning and development budget per year (1,000 USD)
You should know
Seqera is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. However you identify or whatever your journey to this point, we welcome all candidates to apply for the position that inspires them. Come join us and help us build a global company that everyone is proud to be part of.
As we scale, we constantly improve our in-office and WFH environments and learn to help everyone have the best setup for our company's success and your personal development, while always keeping the human touch in every aspect of our lives.