Software Engineer Manager
We’re a bunch of unique, normal and somewhat eccentric people (just the average amount), looking for some more team members.
“No one is you, and that is your power,” we’re looking for people who bring their best, see the best in others and like to make things better.
If there's one thing we’re good at, it's gathering people together to do something fun. Launching a new band, or a technology start-up shooting for the stars, is all about having the best people – get that right, cool things will happen.
Our 5 step business plan is simple:
- Love your customer
- Build Trust
- Stay focused
- Have fun
- Kick ass
Who we are
IndyKite's decentralized Identity Platform unlocks contextual insights from identity data to enable businesses to realize greater ROI.
With products that securely manage human, IoT, and machine identity, the IndyKite Identity Platform leverages machine learning to deliver context-aware authorization, knowledge driven decisions and risk analytics.
Built on a knowledge graph data model, IndyKite enables developers with flexible APIs through a growing open-source ecosystem.
Learn more at [IndyKite.com](https://indykite.com/).
Why we need you
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Manager (EM) who has the technical expertise to provide technical leadership to and manage the day to day operations. This will cover one or more full-stack product teams delivering highly technical and complex SaaS products, providing cross-functional leadership to coordinate and drive major projects and initiatives across Product Engineering. At the same time, having the experience and people skills to manage a diverse group of software engineers of various disciplines.
The Engineering Manager is the interface between strategy and product leadership, and hands-on day-to-day execution in our empowered product teams. Each team owns one or more products and the end-to-end journey from ideation through execution to delivery and maintenance. Leading such teams requires somebody well-versed in strong engineering culture, effective people management, and driving teams to get things done and balance trade-offs across engineering, product, and design.
At the same time it is also crucial for this role to push for – and, where necessary, to drive – product clarity and greater strategic context. You will join a core group of Product Engineering leadership, and serve as an essential layer between strategy and tactics, being a hands-on operator within both. It takes a hybrid hands-on leader in the trenches with their teams, and a forward-looking leader and driver of initiatives. It requires stepping up and taking ownership, navigating ambiguity and forcing forward clarity where necessary, weighing competing concerns, balancing technical and product tradeoffs.
In essence, a hybrid Engineering Manager and Product Leader. That’s also the unique part of taking on this dynamic role at such a technically forward-leaning and ambitious company as IndyKite: growing beyond the traditional confines of role definitions, into leadership and ultimately helping ensure the success of the products you co-own and the company you help build.
You should have a technical background, as your core responsibility is to manage, guide, mentor, and coach teams of software engineers. Maybe you even do some hands-on coding yourself still, when called for. As such, you not only optimize your own code, but make sure engineers are able to optimise theirs. As an Engineering Manager you manage your project goals, contribute to product strategy, and help develop your team. EMs work across the entire company, in areas ranging from distributed computing, large-scale system design, and security and compliance, to user interface design, graph machine learning, and customer support; the list goes on and is growing every day. This is a highly dynamic role with tremendous breadth of impact and opportunities for growth and new challenges.
Operating with empowerment and speed, our team is forging ahead -- and as a manager you:
- Own and advocate for underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure - essential building blocks for a sound software system, with excellent, safe, and coherent user experience, which also drives the pace of innovation for our software engineering team
- Look across IndyKite’s product suite to build central solutions, break down technical barriers, and strengthen existing systems
- Manage a team of software engineers, including day to day tasks, execution, QA, code reviews, and prioritisation, as well as mentoring them on their long term career development and growth
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of complex technical projects
- Driving technical hiring, interviewing engineers across functional areas and levels of seniority
- Work closely with product managers, tech leads, designers, product marketing, customer success, and other engineering managers to help ensure IndyKite is building impactful products that consistently delight our users and meet the needs of our customers
What you will need to succeed
- 5+ years of professional experience with software development and leading software engineers
- A robust technical degree in Computer Science or similar , or equivalent significant experience as a hands-on engineer and architect
- Hands-on programming experience, we expect in one or more of: Go, C++, Java, or Python – but we’re not myopic, and open to diverse paths into Engineering Management
- Experience designing and implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Experience managing teams of engineers, mentoring, and career development
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the identity space is a plus
Why you should choose us
- Join a fun, ambitious, and talented team
- Collaborate with team members across borders and backgrounds
- We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees
- Opportunity to shape a new era in digital identity
- Possibilities for growth; join an early-stage start-up and become part of the journey
- Competitive salary and flexible work-from-home policy
- 25 days of paid vacation and other benefits