Principal Engineer- (Front-end)
Who we are
Bitpanda simplifies wealth creation. Founded in 2014 in Vienna, Austria by Eric Demuth, Paul Klanschek and Christian Trummer, Bitpanda exists to help people trust themselves enough to build financial freedom for their future. Our user-friendly, trade-everything platform empowers both first-time investors and seasoned experts to invest in the cryptocurrencies, crypto indices, stocks, precious metals and commodities they want — all possible with any sized budget, 24/7. With more than 700 team members and more than 4 million customers, our company is one of Europe's most successful fintechs.
Headquartered in Austria but operating across all of Europe, our products are built by fast-moving, talented, “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen” kind of people who represent more than 50 nationalities. If you’re someone who thinks big, moves fast and wants to make an impact right from day one, then get ready to join our industry-changing team. Let’s go!
As the Principal Engineer, your goal will be to actively contribute to making Bitpanda’s platform scalable, performant, resilient and secure.
You will be a reference to the other members of the engineering team and proactively grow their technical skills within the company. Through guidance, mentorship and hands-on contributions, you’ll engage technical and non-technical stakeholders and elevate our engineering standards and technology in the entire product and engineering organisation.
In the front-end area, you'll be responsible for supporting our Design and Product team on creating the best amazing interfaces, while creating a very clear north-star for our Engineering team on how to achieve the best results at scale.
What you’ll do
- Grow and inspire the Product and Engineering organisation, while providing technical guidance for highly complex initiatives
- Conceive plans and conduct research in relevant problem areas or new technology of considerable scope and complexity.
- As an excellent communicator, you will gather requirements and pave the way for consensus on the creation and adoption of architectural decision records across multiple departments.
- You will lead smaller teams of senior engineers to deliver high impact initiatives crucial for Bitpanda’s business goals and align with the company strategy and explore technologies which can have a positive impact for Bitpanda in the years to come
- Analyse potential business opportunities for their benefits and risks and deduct clear decisions, creating amazing experiences for our customers
- Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured architectural diagrams and technical documents
What we’re looking for
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high-level direction.
- You have a crafted with care mindset, focusing on always delivering amazing experiences for our user, with the highest attention to detail on each iteration, in a scalable and sustainable manner.
- You have advanced knowledge and experience with building world-class front-end applications, leveraging the most recent technologies and practices, working closely with the Product and Design teams on which is the best path to deliver the proposed value.
- You’re proficient with many of the following tools and technologies:
React, Design System, Storybook, CSS-in-JS, Jest, Next.js and at is an expert on HTML, CSS and JS.
- You are highly collaborative, focused on building relationships across all departments and be self-driven to deliver on ambiguous projects in spite of incomplete or inaccurate data. An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment. The ability to easily build relationships with the different players of the tech area, at different levels of the organisation
- You have knowledge on how distributed systems work and the communication patterns between them, especially focused on the impact it has on front-end teams. Knowledge of REST and/or GraphQL is mandatory in order to collaborate with our back-end teams on contract definitions and API schema designs.
- Several years of experience with a track record in successful delivery of initiatives in the area of Front-end. Hands-on personality, self-driven, somebody who likes to be in the middle and not sit on the sidelines. Somebody who has the ability to connect with people outside the Engineering Area, at different levels within the organisation
What’s in it for you
- Competitive total compensation package including participation in our stock option plan
- Market-leading Flex-Ben approach and package (see our careers page)
- Exclusive premiums when trading on Bitpanda
- Occasional company-wide and team events - both in-person and virtually!
- Bitpanda swag to keep you living the brand
- A diverse team of fast-moving, talented, “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen” kind of people who are united (across cultures and time zones) by our unique way of working
And, above all, the opportunity to learn and grow as part of Bitpanda’s incredible journey towards being Europe’s future #1 investment platform.
Bitpanda is committed to fostering a fair and equal environment based on trust and mutual respect. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace is paramount to our success and we are committed to building a team that represents a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.