Senior Backend Engineer, Customer Solutions
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) is the world’s largest telematics service provider. Its mission is to make the world’s roads and drivers safer. The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dashcams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior. Companies from personal and commercial auto insurance, automotive, rideshare, smart cities, wireless, financial services, and family safety industries use insights from CMT’s platform to power their risk assessment, safety, claims, and driver improvement programs. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in Budapest, Chennai, Seattle, Tokyo, and Zagreb, CMT serves millions of people through over 95 programs in 25 countries, including 21 of the top 25 US auto insurers.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Software Engineer to manage new implementations or enhancements of our quickly growing portfolio of customers across CMT’s customer base. As part of the Customer Solutions department, the team works hand in hand with Solution Architects and Engagement Managers to ensure that the customer mobile applications are aligned to business requirements and UI design, and ensures the successful deployment of new customer apps or app enhancements through the entire project lifecycle.
- Serve as the chief technical lead for our customers in designing, developing, validating, maintaining, releasing, and operating CMT backend customer solutions and integrations, with the ultimate goal being to help the top insurance companies in the world in growing their business and in implementing CMT’s telematics solutions.
- Work with Sales, Engineers, and Solution Architects to understand business requirements and effectively size Sprints with active participation in scrum team planning and technical meetings
- Conduct due diligence remotely and on-site with clients and partners in concert with Platform Engineering team members to define customer integration requirements and design
- Ensure that the implementation of integration designs are secure, performant, scalable, fault tolerant, and testable
- Participate in architecture/implementation proposal reviews
- Support and continuously improve release and deployment pipeline
- Partake in an on-call rotation alongside the engineers who build our production backends
- Be able to operate in a highly regulated environment
- Complete any additional tasks as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience and/or certification
- 4+ years of relevant development experience
- Good coding skills in at least one programming language, and a desire to pick up more. We work primarily in Python, with smatterings of shell scripts, Jenkinsfile and JSON configurations.
- Proven ability to quickly learn new technologies and understand complex systems (APIs, databases, SDK's, etc.)
- Ability to identify and clearly communicate pragmatic solutions to complex integration problems
- Deep understanding of AWS services and DevOps principles
- Willing and able to work from our Chennai office three times per week
Nice to Have:
- Experience using EC2, SQS, Lambda, Dynamo, RDS (PostgreS), S3, Kinesis, ECS, and IAM
- Experience with Docker, NGINX, PostgreSQL, Consul and/or Cassandra
- Experience with large scale production systems and technologies, for example load balancing, monitoring, distributed systems, and/or configuration management
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fair and competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Medical Benefits (Health insurance, Personal accident insurance, Group term life insurance), gratuity, parental leave, sick leave and public holidays
- Employees are eligible for flexible allowances which includes Leave Travel Assistance, Telephone/Mobile Expenses, Professional development expenses, Meals Coupon, Vehicle Reimbursement
- Flexible scheduling and work from home policy depending on role and responsibilities
- Feel great working to improve road safety around the world!
- Join one of our many employee resource groups including Black, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, Women, Book Club and Health & Wellness
- Extensive wellness, education and employee assistance programs
- CMT will do all that is possible to support our employees and create a positive and inclusive work environment for all!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At CMT, we are intensifying our commitment to provide opportunities and career growth to the underrepresented. We are focused on creating an inclusive work environment that encourages a diversity of background and thought to produce the best products and services within our industry.
CMT is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create an inclusive and diverse environment that enriches our employees’ lives in and outside of work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability state. CMT is headquartered in Cambridge MA. To learn more, visit www.cmtelematics.com and follow us on Twitter @cmtelematics.