Principal Commodity Specialist
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) is the world’s largest telematics service provider. Its mission is to make the world’s roads and drivers safer. The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dashcams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior. Companies from personal and commercial auto insurance, automotive, rideshare, smart cities, wireless, financial services, and family safety industries use insights from CMT’s platform to power their risk assessment, safety, claims, and driver improvement programs. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in Budapest, Chennai, Seattle, Tokyo, and Zagreb, CMT serves millions of people through over 95 programs in 25 countries, including 21 of the top 25 US auto insurers.
The Principal Commodity Specialist I will be the supply chain technical liaison working in direct partnership with IoT Engineering, Manufacturing/Test Engineering, and Supply Chain on mass production and all new product development & advanced technology initiatives. The Principal Commodity Specialist’s early engagement with the product development teams and supplier partners will be critical to identify cost optimization opportunities around design/manufacturing/test to drive highly successful IoT products. This position will manage both electronic and mechanical commodities focusing on supplier technology roadmaps, component selection, and supplier execution (on-time delivery, quality, service, and cost).
- As a key member of our technical sourcing team, partner with IoT Engineering, IoT Operations, and Supply Chain on the identification of new contract manufacturers, component suppliers, and manufacturing services partners required to support new product development initiatives and current mass production
- Identify and communicate sourcing risks early in the development cycle to drive mitigating designs and/or alternative sourcing strategies, and mitigate EOL risk by partnering with IoT Engineering & Supply Chain to preserve product life and revenue streams
- Own the BoM (bill of material) pertaining to final supplier selection and cost for both new and legacy product lines
- Align Supply Chain with IoT Engineering and component suppliers for proper component selection and develop part/product specifications that meet performance and cost requirements
- Develop viable alternative, secondary sourcing component strategies
- Assist in the evaluation of supplier’s technical competencies, capabilities, and capacity to provide input into sourcing reliable and cost-effective material supply decisions
- Manage NPI (New Product Introduction) development builds until mature enough to transition to IoT Operations and Supply Chain
- Ensure mass production CMs procure the required electronic components on time and on budget; step in to prevent and address shortage issues either through escalation or direct sourcing
- Procure and source electronic and other components to support quick turn builds for IoT Engineering, new product introduction (NPI) builds, and mass production at Contract Manufacturers (CMs)
- Maintain commodity expertise; provide market insight and influence future product roadmaps
- Implement world-class sourcing practices and establish a robust AML, including developing a preferred partner program, implementing supplier scorecards, and AML maintenance process
- Demonstrate strong motivation and ability to develop and continuously improve business processes to keep pace with the rapid growth and scale of CMT’s operations
- Complete any additional tasks that may arise
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required, or equivalent years of experience and/or certification
- 7+ years of experience in hardware/NPI engineering and supply chain, or 5+ years in hardware/NPI engineering with advanced degree in Supply Chain required
- At least one APICS (CPIM, CSCP) or ISM Certification (CPSM) required
- Extensive knowledge of design characteristics, sourcing, and supply chain
- Data-driven and process-oriented with ability to consistently meet commitments and reach objectives without direct oversight
- Experience with managing vendors in Asia and North America
- Team player and collaborative attitude, energetic, positive, focused on details/results, determined to perform at a high level
- Comfortable with daily transactional work in combination with developing and implementing strategic methodologies
- Excellent communication and organization skills (written, verbal, and presentation)
Nice to Have:
- Consumer electronics experience
- Previous component engineering experience with IC manufacturers preferred
- Experience with product certification process – domestic and international
- Experience with an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system – NetSuite experience a plus
- Experience with Arena a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fair and competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, matching 401k, short-term & long-term disability, and parental leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off including vacation, sick days & public holidays
- Flexible scheduling and work-from-home policy depending on role and responsibilities
- Feel great working to improve road safety around the world!
- Join one of our many employee resource groups including Black, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, Women, Book Club, and Health & Wellness
- Extensive wellness, education, and employee assistance programs
- CMT will do all that is possible to support our employees and create a positive and inclusive work environment for all!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At CMT, we are intensifying our commitment to providing opportunities and career growth to the underrepresented. We are focused on creating an inclusive work environment that encourages a diversity of background and thought to produce the best products and services within our industry.
CMT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives to create an inclusive and diverse environment that enriches our employees’ lives in and outside of work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability state. CMT is headquartered in Cambridge MA. To learn more, visit www.cmtelematics.com and follow us on Twitter @cmtelematics.