Behavioral Data Scientist
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) is the world’s largest telematics service provider. Its mission is to make the world’s roads and drivers safer. The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dashcams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior. Companies from personal and commercial auto insurance, automotive, rideshare, smart cities, wireless, financial services, and family safety industries use insights from CMT’s platform to power their risk assessment, safety, claims, and driver improvement programs. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in Budapest, Chennai, Seattle, Tokyo, and Zagreb, CMT serves millions of people through over 95 programs in 25 countries, including 21 of the top 25 US auto insurers.
CMT is looking for a collaborative, customer-committed, and creative Behavioral Data Scientist who wants to join us in making roads safer by making drivers better! The benefits of our programs are only realized if people actively participate over the long-term.The person in this role will model users’ driving behavior; model users’ program behavior (trip recording, engagement, improvement, and longevity); design and analyze trials to test the effectiveness of interventions; and evaluate new data sources. You will provide your findings to internal stakeholders, customers, and help inform the public about the state of driving risk and the impact of efforts to improve it.
- Collaborate with the Insights group and project squads to identify, design, execute, and analyze behavioral trials to improve the effectiveness of messaging and rewards, in-app feature improvements, and other aspects of user experience on risk behavior and program engagement
- Attribute the impact of various simultaneous growth initiatives to impact on key metrics.
- Model user driving behavior and program behavior to relate a user’s habits to risk and engagement, and help incorporate results into the overall telematics system
- Perform ad hoc analyses and investigations to support existing initiatives and evaluate the potential of future efforts, e.g., regional variation in risk model feature importance, the annual distracted driving report, or initial exploration of new data sources
- Create and deliver data visualizations, presentations, and other materials as needed and communicate findings to internal stakeholders, customers, and the public
- Complete any additional tasks as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience and/or certification in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or Engineering
- 2+ years of professional experience in the Data Science field
- Experience with data-intensive modeling in a setting such as Behavioral Economics, Statistics, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or similar
- Strong investigative skills and intellectual curiosity. Demonstrated ability to uncover and corroborate the stories in the data
- Fluency with statistical analysis and data wrangling: the ability to update and retrieve data, clean it, highlight changes and incongruencies, and deliver understandable insights and opinions on the results
- Familiarity with software tools necessary to manipulate and model big data (our work is primarily based on python and SQL interfaces to AWS-based big data systems and data visualization tools such as Tableau)
- Strong technical communication skills demonstrated through written, oral, and visual presentation of data for technical and non-technical audiences alike
- Willing and able to work in person in our Cambridge office twice per week
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fair and competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, matching 401k, short-term & long-term disability and parental leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off including vacation, sick days & public holidays
- Flexible scheduling and work from home policy depending on role and responsibilities
- Feel great working to improve road safety around the world!
- Join one of our many employee resource groups including Black, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, Women, Book Club and Health & Wellness
- Extensive wellness, education and employee assistance programs
- CMT will do all that is possible to support our employees and create a positive and inclusive work environment for all!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At CMT, we are intensifying our commitment to provide opportunities and career growth to the underrepresented. We are focused on creating an inclusive work environment that encourages a diversity of background and thought to produce the best products and services within our industry.
CMT is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create an inclusive and diverse environment that enriches our employees’ lives in and outside of work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability state. CMT is headquartered in Cambridge MA. To learn more, visit www.cmtelematics.com and follow us on Twitter @cmtelematics.